1. In general, what is your background? Age, Occupation? Growing up I really didn’t do much by way of sports or any kind of physical development due to work and school. I’m a dentist, practicing in Purcellville for 20 years. I’m 53 years old but didn’t start taking fitness seriously until my mid 40’s
2. How did you get to know about Catoctin CrossFit and why did you start? I had heard about CrossFit as a thing 10 years ago. I was doing P-90X workouts but had gotten bored and thought CrossFit might be the next level. I saw an ad in the local paper when Catoctin first opened in 2013. Went in that day and signed up. That was 7 years ago.
3. What has Catoctin CrossFit changed about your life other than a new workout routine? It changed everything. It got me in the best shape of my life. It is both physical and mental conditioning. Every workout is a challenge. It’s given me confidence to overcome challenges. I see the CrossFit gym as a metaphor for life. It breaks me down, makes me dig deep, to do the best I can, learn from my failures and strive to improve. It’s the best stress reliever that I know of.
4. What motivates you and keep you coming back to Catoctin every day? At this point, 7 years in, it’s just ingrained in me I guess. Also, the work is hard and rewarding and I don’t want to lose what I’ve worked so hard to gain. In addition, the people, my friends in the gym make me want to go, they make it fun.
5. What advice would you give someone thinking about trying a class at Catoctin CrossFit? Just do it. Make the call, visit for a class. Don’t let fear hold you back. You don’t need to “get in shape” to start CrossFit. The coaches are professionals, and they will meet you where you are and work with you. It’s a friendly environment, not intimidating. Once you start, stick with it. It can seem overwhelming, but we all started in a similar place.
6. What Goals have you set for yourself in 2020? Well in retrospect, 2020 was just survival mode. Good riddance. For 2021 hoping to refocus. Looking forward to really giving it my best in the Open. Still have lots of skills that I need to work on, even after 7 years. I need to clean up my Clean and improve my bar skills. I still don’t have good muscle ups and can’t butterfly my pull-ups. I just struggle in those areas.
7. Favorite CrossFit moment so far? There are so many, it’s hard to say. Probably some of my “bigger” lifts, PR’s in snatch, deadlift etc. Also, memories of some fun Open workouts. Surviving those Open “.5” workouts, cheering and suffering with everyone. Watching people do things they didn’t think they could accomplish.
8. Favorite and least favorite type or workout or movement? Favorites: Snatch, Deadlift, Overhead Squat, handstand pushups. Quick burner WODs that leave me on the floor in 5 minutes or less and long chippers. Least favorite: Cleans, split jerks, running, Assault bike
9. If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would it be and why? Bartending. I enjoy imbibing in moderation and like making and experimenting with cocktails. My career is high pressure and nobody likes seeing me. I want to be a bartender when I retire because everyone is happy to see their bartender!
10. If you could be on a reality TV show, what would it be and why? Real Husbands of Loudoun County! I can already think of a great cast of characters right here at Catoctin CrossFit!