1. In general, what is your background? Age, Occupation? I am 55 years old born in DC and raised in Alexandria, VA. I went to college in Canada, and I have lived in Germany and California before returning to Virginia 16 years ago. I am on my third career as a Procurement Manager for a government consulting firm. I started off in the Air Force in Satcom and then engineering in the semiconductor industry before transitioning to a 9-5 job.
2. How did you get to know about Catoctin CrossFit and why did you start? I was active in sports in high school and college but after college I no longer had a consistent outlet for fitness. I tried many gyms, running in my 30s including one marathon and half-marathons, and various fitness programs such as Insanity and P90X. My weight fluctuated throughout the years. I was first introduced to CrossFit when I was living in Herndon before I moved to Purcellville three years ago. I had only attended about 3 months of training when I walked into the doors at Catoctin and I haven’t considered trying out anything else. I like the fitness variety and the camaraderie of Catoctin CrossFit.
3. What has Catoctin CrossFit changed about your life other than a new workout routine? I feel like a freaking superhero. I have more stamina and endurance than I have had in 20 years. The people I have met at Catoctin are all amazing and supportive.
4. What motivates you and keep you coming back to Catoctin every day? I love the workouts we do and how much stronger I feel. I am motivated to get better every day.
5. What advice would you give someone thinking about trying a class at Catoctin CrossFit? Don’t worry about trying to get fit before starting CrossFit. The fastest way to get fit is to just start your fitness journey with Catoctin CrossFit. Workouts will be tailored to your strengths and will meet you where you’re at.
6. What Goals have you set for yourself in 2021? I have made the commitment to improve at least 1% every day. Somedays are tough but I show up and try my best.
7. Favorite CrossFit moment so far? It’s hard to pick out a single moment. I know the first time I did a CrossFit workout I was in awe watching everyone throw barbells around thinking I’ll never be able to do that. I have reached several goals I never thought were attainable. I love the push Catoctin CrossFit provides to be better than your last workout.
8. Favorite and least favorite type or workout or movement? I like the Hero WODs and chipper workouts. I am not a fan of overhead squats and snatch but I know I need to work on them.
9. If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would it be and why? I would teach Transcendental Meditation (TM). I started practicing TM about 4 years ago to manage stress and it has allowed me to achieve a greater sense of clarity and productivity in my life.
10. If you could be on a reality TV show, what would it be and why? I would love to be on the Amazing Race because of the mental and physical challenges coupled with traveling around the world by plane, train, automobile, or foot sounds like an exciting adventure. Although, my navigation skills are not the best. After all, I did make a wrong turn during my first Murph workout two years ago and ran two miles instead of the first mile run.