- In general, what is your background? Where are you from, education, sports etc. I was born and raised in Boston. Went to New Hampshire College, where I got my Marketing degree, and my Husband Rob. We lived in CT for 12 years and had sons Austin and Riley. In 2004 we packed up and moved to Purcellville for Rob’s job. I started my business in 2005 because of my passion of food and healthy eating. I wanted to help others avoid take out and eat at home with their families. I had Brodie in 2005. I was never really part of any organized sport except cheerleading in my younger years. I did workout at gyms all my life.
- Age, Occupation? 49, Personal Chef
- How did you get to know about CrossFit and why did you start? I had always wanted to try it, reading about it online and in magazines. My trainer told me “Everything you do in Crossfit, you can do in a gym” and had me doing some of the lifts, box jumps and pull-ups. Althrough true, is was not like Crossfit, you need the community behind you to experience true Crossfit. I talked to Heidi Raymer New Years eve of 2014 and she told me she was doing it and loved it. I was scared, but walked in to try it and never looked back. I then got Rob to try it and he was hooked. We started Riley when he was 11, and it completely transformed him. Brodie has been doing it for over a year now, same thing. It is so important to get them to start young!
- How has CrossFit changed your life, lifestyle, level of fitness? I used to be a “gym rat” I would do multiple classes a day, spinning, body pump and have sessions with a trainer. I never got the results that I got in just one hour a day at Catoctin Crossfit. I have never been as strong as I am now.
- Name one goal and/or personal record you would like to accomplish through CrossFit. I have some back issues, so I’ve had to take a step back and redefine why I’m here. If I want to stay at Crossfit for a long time, I have to listen to the Dr. I can no longer run and have to stay lighter in my lifts. I still get a great workout and almost no more back pain! At first it was a hard pill to swallow, not being able to keep up with everyone else, but I have a new positive attitude and I am still here. I couldn’t imagine going back to a regular gym! So I’d like to focus on gymnastics and continuing to get better at strict pull ups, dips, HSPU…Muscle up would be the ultimate goal.
- Favorite CrossFit moment so far? Finishing my first Murph, nothing compares to that feeling, suffering with your family and friends around you!
- What do you like most about Catoctin CrossFit? It has to be the programming and coaching. Zach really packs it all into 1 hour, stretching, mobility, strength and cardio….it’s well worth every penny. I love how each class is different. I love the variety. Zach and Marcus are a great team and I learn something from them every day! They always have an alternative plan if you can’t do one of the movements. Of course the friends I have met through Crossfit are an added bonus! They keep me accountable and make it fun.
- Favorite WOD? I tend to like long chippers with lots of movements. For some reason I love the 12 days of Christmas.
- Least Favorite WOD? 19.3 with the 35lb DB step ups, was recovering from phenomia and wasn’t feeling it!
- Favorite Movement? Deadlifts, cleans and anything gymnastics
- Least favorite movement? THRUSTERS They suck the life out of me, even light ones!
- Favorite place or food to eat locally? I don’t like to eat out often, but when I do it has to be Magnolias, The Public House or Uncle Juilos