1. In general, what is your background? Age, Occupation?
I grew up in Reston and married my high school sweetheart. Kent and I have been married for 30 years. We have 3 boys who have grown up in Hamilton and attended Loudoun Valley High School. I went to George Mason University and received a BS degree in Early Childhood Education. I taught for 15 years in Fairfax County then came to Loudoun County and have been teaching in Loudoun for 15 years.
2. How did you get to know about Catoctin CrossFit and why did you start? Athletics has always been a part of my life, but as I have gotten older I realized I needed to add strengthening activities to my workouts. I was drawn to Catoctin Crossfit because of the welcoming environment. I enjoy the instruction for each workout. It is a very creative, different workout every day and I not only get strength work, but an aerobic workout, which I love.
3. What has Catoctin CrossFit changed about your life other than a new workout routine? CatoctinCrossfit has changed my life by introducing me to so many types of workout skills and lifts. I had never really lifted weights or anything that had to do with weights so all of the bar bell, dumb bell and kettle bell work was new. Stretching exercises are always changing. We are always learning new movements and the diversity of the workouts makes me want to come back every day. I don’t get bored with the “same old stuff” because we never do the same thing. It is awesome!
4. What motivates you and keep you coming back to Catoctin every day? I love the diversity of the workout. I have met many new friends in the community as well as reuniting with old friends. It is a great way to be involved in the community while also getting a great workout.
5. What advice would you give someone thinking about trying a class at Catoctin CrossFit? To just give it a try. It is such a positive environment no matter what your level of athletic ability. Everyone is supportive, friendly and helpful. The coaches make sure you are lifting correctly and there is instruction for every movement every day.
6. What Goals have you set for yourself in 2020? My goal is to keep coming to the gym 3-4 times a week. I would love to work on Toes to Bar this year.
7. Favorite CrossFit moment so far? I don’t have one favorite moment because there are so many, but I do like the workouts that are dedicated to soldiers. It gives the workout more purpose.
8. Favorite and least favorite type or workout or movement? My favorite workout is probably a long AMRAP that has many different skills involved. A mixture of lifts and aerobic activities, especially long runs on the bike path, are so much fun. My least favorite workout is probably when we do the workout first and then strength work. I like to warm up with lifting and then do the workout.
9. If you could be on a reality TV show, what would it be and why? If I could choose a reality show to be on it would be American Ninja Warrior because it looks like fun and the men and women are so strong and flexible. There isn’t drama (that you see) and they all support each other to be successful.