1. In general, what is your background? Age, Occupation?
I am 36, married and have two daughters (10 and 3). I am a certified public accountant (CPA) specializing in taxes. As a child I was very active in sports including horseback riding, track, basketball, swim team and ballet. My parents were and still are very active as well. As a child we would go for bike rides on the weekends for 30+ miles. I remember hating it because my butt would get so sore. We also hiked a lot. In my college years, I started working out at Gold’s Gym but was bored even with group classes. I did a few boot camps but nothing really ever motivated me. Then, a Gold’s gym trainer started CrossFit 304, and I knew I was joining. It was around my 29th birthday that I began CrossFit. It took 9 months of nagging to convince my husband, J, to join CrossFit with me. He hates it that I was right but he loves it too. You’ll see him just about every morning at 6am class with the other crazy early morning people.
2. How did you get to know about Catoctin CrossFit and why did you start?
We moved to Purcellville in July 2014 while we were building our home in Berryville. We knew we had to find a new CrossFit box and lucky for us Catoctin had opened about 9 months prior. We became founding members.
3. What has Catoctin CrossFit changed about your life other than a new workout routine?
When I first started CrossFit in 2012 I could barely lift the 35lb bar. I slowly gained strength while a member of CrossFit 304 but never felt strong. Since I’ve been a member of Catoctin CrossFit, I have gained strength and stamina that I knew I had but never unlocked.
4. What motivates you and keeps you coming back to Catoctin every day?
The challenge. It is also a form of therapy. It relieves stress and contributes to my overall well-being.
5. What advice would you give someone thinking about trying a class at Catoctin CrossFit? Do it. Then, keep coming back for more. The sore muscles mean progress. It hurts so good.
6. What Goals have you set for yourself in 2020?
I want to string together strict pull ups.
7. Favorite CrossFit moment so far?
Being nominated for athlete of the month!
8. Favorite and least favorite type or workout or movement?
Squat cleans are my favorite. They feel empowering. I’m not a fan of snatch but now after 7 years of CrossFit I find them empowering. They are still not my favorite though. My least favorite movement is the assault bike.
9. If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would it be and why? Me? Teach CrossFit? Nah. I’ll let the coaches teach CrossFit. That is not my area of expertise. Now, if you have tax questions, then I’m your teacher.
10. If you could be on a reality TV show, what would it be and why? Survivor! Mentally and physically challenging while still being “real” reality show.